La Pradera International health center ( La Pradera ) : Established in November 1996 by Comandante Jefe Fidel Castro, La Pradera is among the foremost medical institutions in the island of Cuba, bringing together professional service with a uniquely ethical approach to the well-being and dignity of residents. It is staffed with multidisciplinary, multilingual, highly qualified medical personnel proficient both in meeting the needs of the residents in a responsive and individualized manner and in diagnosing and addressing any and all emerging medical needs similarly.
La Pradera is equipped with modern technology to carry out clinical evaluations, laboratory tests, and imaging investigations. The center is especially accomplished in the provision of specialized medical care in areas such as endocrinology (management of diabetic conditions), nephrology (management of kidney conditions), oncology, neuroscience, phoniatrics and other specialities. Here, residents receive solid case-by-case medical assessment, treatment and care of such conditions, hemodialysis, osteoporosis, diabetes, high blood pressure, and respiratory ailments, as well as programs for weight loss, cosmetology and the stress reduction among others.
Particular attention is thus dedicated not only to the prevention and early detection of diseases and their treatment, but also to the holistic promotion of a healthy lifestyle with the interest of reducing risk-factors and ensuring the residents’ comprehensive well-being.
With its integrated approach to residents’ health, La Pradera is therefore particularly well-suited to meet the needs of the elderly, having designed rehabilitative programs that are specifically tailored to the improvement of the residents’ quality of life by working on restoring functionality and integration within an environment of both the natural beauty of Cuba and the extensive facilities available in the center itself. Here, your loved ones will not only have access to above-standard medical and rehabilitation services, in addition to and skilled nursing care not found in many of the world renown nursing and retirement facilities, such as cognitive therapy, functional therapy, and social interaction therapy, but much more. The center prides itself for being the globe’s only nursing and long-term facility with its own emergency department.
- They will have ready access to numerous different types of massages, including
harmonizing oriental and underwater massages in a special therapeutic pool.
- They will be able to engage with the healing elements of nature in an environment purposefully designed to that effect
- both through the company of animals, particularly horses, in carefully designed equine therapy programs, and through frequent gardening sessions that endow them with a much-needed feeling of control.
- Our frequent play and music therapy sessions provide not only mental and physical exercise, but an engaging, new cultural experience.
- Meditative and spiritual activities, such as Taishi, are regularly available.
- In addition to the above-mentioned activities, which are part of our meticulously designed rehabilitative programs, La Pradera boasts a great number of medical and recreational amenities ensuring not only that our residents dietary needs are well-met, but also providing a space for socialization and relaxation. In many ways, the center resembles a hotel more than a nursing facility, with amenities and services such as:
- One room per patient with an electrical patient bed, equipment for disabled patient, Oxygen hookup, fully equipped bathroom, colour TV with national and international channels, local and international phone services (extra cost will apply), Three à la carte meals taking into account the patient’s preferences and / or special diets prescribed by physician, and safe box
- Internet service throughout the center (at an extra cost)
- Laundry services
- Swimming pool, in addition to underwater massage pools
- Snack bar
- Coffee shop
- Vast gardens
- Sports fields
- Special event halls
- Restaurant with an open buffet taken into account residents’ nutritional diets
- Hotel-like room services
- Hair dressing salon, which includes pedicures and manicures and barber shop
- Emergency room
- Dental clinic
- Dialysis clinic
- Minimal surgical theater
La Pradera’s great advantage lies not only in its exceptional service and extensive facilities, but in its geography. The island’s perfect position means that travel from North American countries like Canada is inexpensive and fast (less than three and a half hours from Toronto). Equally important is the natural beauty of a tropical setting, which allows for a consistently beautiful climate that is accommodating year-round, the stability and tranquility of which we find to be especially appreciated by the elderly.